Now the week before this event, I was sitting at home thinking about my schedule for the next day. I had already put together, for the most part the youngest one's dress and it was just awaiting her arrival for fit. SOOO, I had nothing to do (well, you know, nothing I wanted to do) and I felt as if I needed something cute to wear to work the next day. So, I went adventuring through my pattern stash and this pattern begged my attention.
After this pattern instructed me that it was the one, I started my fabric stash dash. As you have seen from my many posts, I have been having a love affair with Houndstooth. It started way back when I saw the Ferragamo Spring Collection and he had this darling wrap dress! And so, I ran across this sheer houndstooth polyester pretending to be charmeuse some time ago. When I purchased it, I thought it was terrible sheer and see through and would only be good for a scraf to accompany a coat. But, when it popped into my hands last week, I decided, it was the right look.. and I could always make a little tank underneath for modesty! And so, here is the final product. (And yes, I purchased the houndstooth shoes back when I made the wrap dress!)
The funny thing behind this is that I didn't really think I had enough fabric when I started. The bow pattern piece was so long and it said to cut two. But I placed them all on the fabric and it just worked out. I cut the pieces and not until the scissors were down did I notice that the bow was to have been cut on the bias. Of course I would never have had enough fabric for that, so perhaps thats why I completely ignored that most important detail. But I was determined to go on.
So, when it was time to join the pieces (and it should have looked like one long piece), I joined mine and it resulted in a perfect "V"! My goodness. So, I decided to cut one of the pieces until I could fit them properly. This of course caused me to loose some length on one of the pieces, but it worked out in the end. The only other thing I should have done was to make bias fabric facings for the armholes edges. The pattern actually said to use bias tape, which I did, but it's a bit stiffer than it should be for the fabric. I think I have some remnants left and might try to do that later. But, I do like the contrast even now. The skirt was one that I had previously made in a white denim (that I adore) so this came together incredibly fast.
This was my work attire Thursday morning after finishing it Wednesday about midnight. (I started about 5:30 Wednesday.)
Now, its time to start working on the mother of the bride dress. My fabric arrived last week. Found my inspiration dress so it's off to the races!