Sew, the fall weather is finally here in Memphis. We won't have it long, but to have it break us out of the wretched heat is always a wonderful situation. I didn't start this latest excursion because of the weather, but I thought it was a fitting choice to enjoy the beautifully cool morning and sunny afternoons. As with almost everything I make, it starts with the shoes. Life is about shoes. If you don't agree and think it's something more complicated and ethereal, I feel so bad for you. :-)
I actually purchased these shoes several months ago in a different color (kinda midnight blue). At that time, I originally picked these up (I like unique) but returned them because the box said the shoes were red, they didn't at all look red to me, and I thought it would be hard to find a red fabric that went well with the color. But then, the wretched store had these on sale. That was all she wrote. I went to the fabric store the next day for fabric. Almost got a pinstripe (I thought the stripe was the same color as the shoe, but I was wrong) but then put it back. I went back to the fabric store and found this orangy knit that I thought was perfectly devine. At that point, I knew I wanted a sheath dress and some sort of unstructured jacket. I was planning to make them all in the same fabric, but soon thought that would be a bit much. I was started to think I would look like the Great Pumpkin in the monochrome color.
After consulting my DD who is also an infrequent contributor to this ranting, suggested I find a being or taupe fabric that I could use a s a contour band at the bottom and put 3/4 sleeves with the similar ban at the bottom of the sleeves.
Well, I liked that idea and knew that I definitely wanted the band on the dress. I was less committed to the band on the sleeves becuase I am always hot so most of my dresses are sleeveless. But this contrast meant going back to the fabric store! Because I had already searched the first store I knew I had to try a different locale. So, off I go to the other side of the city in search of the perfect contrast. And find exactly ONE bolt that would work with the orange. (Here is where I insert my rant about how terrible Hancock's is when it comes to decent apparrel fabric options!)
But the one piece I find appears to be pretty perfect. My boyfriend took the photo and I guess it didn't matter that my eyes appear to be closed. Those things are irrelevant to a man who doesn't want to take a photo of you and your dress first thing in the morning anyway. LOL
I used these patterns. Mccalls 6282, I made view C. I cut off about 4 inches from the bottom of the pattern piece and used that as the contrast. The other change was that the dress is lined. Even though this fabric is a thin knit, I knew I didn't want the entire dress lined. Initially I wasn't planning to line it at all, but because I didn't want to make facings (I was planning to wear the dress the next day!) I knew I needed something. I also didn't want to scavange through my pattern stash in the hope of finding some lining fabric that would work. So, since the fashion fabrc was pretty thin, I used that for the lining. I also only lined it half way. I just felt that would work out better. And it did! It turns about that the thiness of the fabric really required something more. The dress also had these side gathers. I have put them in other garments (I've used this pattern a couple times before). I put them in this dress and my first fitting showed they weren't flattering on me. So, I took them out. I'm glad I did, it's a much more sophisticated look I think.
This is incredibly comfortable. I plan to make it all again in another knit, perhaps a print if I can find the right one (online!!)