Friday, October 26, 2012

All I Need is a Reason Dress!

My DD who is the '"Repeat" of this Peat & Repeat adventure is getting married next year.  Recently the "in-laws" hosted an Engagement Party in Atlanta.  So, of course I had to have something fabulous to wear.  I started with the Tracy Reese, Michelle Obama dress.  I loved the look and thought it was a style that would work on me.  Of course I couldn't find a pattern that was just right. But, I came across this Butterick 5782 and thought this would be a good start.  I had originally planned to alter the front and reduce some of the flair of the skirt portion to resemble the Obama dress. 

Initially, I really wanted this fabric or a very similar version.  I searched and searched. I finally found it on this fabulous silk fabrics site, but it was far more expensive than I wanted to pay.  So, as I reconsiderd my fabric choices, I also gave a closer look to the original Butterick pattern. I decided that I, in fact kinda loved this pattern in its "As Is" state.  So, after finding this great Poly Shantung at my local JoAnn's I was set.  As soon as it started coming together, I loved it.  It felt very Mad Men when I tried it on for the first time and I knew I needed a great belt to finish the look.  I found this great buckle at Hancock's and made the belt.  I didn't make any other design changes and I loved the final product. 
My DD made a beautiful purple dress and I'm waiting for her to post it here. (hint, hint, Repeat!)

6 comments:

  1. Hello, I found you via goodbyevalentino blog. I would love to follow you, but I don't see the button to do so. Help?!?!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JustPam, thanks for pointing that out! LOL. I have added a follow me button. I will add a follow option via email as well.

      Barbara

      Delete
  2. Your dress looks very nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce - it really was a fun dress to create. And it looks like I picked "your" color huh? :-)

      Delete
  3. I also came over from goodbye Valentino and wanted to say it is nice to see a "plus size" sewist since that is what I am. I look forward to seeing more on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I found you on Goodbye Valentino... I love your dress. After reading your review on PR, I'm adding this pattern to my wish list. Best wishes on your 2nd year of RTW fasting.

    ReplyDelete